One of the major factors to consider when looking for a home is the location of your workplace in comparison to the location of your home. In other words, how long is the perfect commute? If your buying a home in Kingstowne make sure you take this into account.
When prioritizing your must-haves on your home-buying list commute time may not come up but I think it should. Unless you work from home the time a takes to travel to and from work affects how much time you’ll have to enjoy your new home.
A shorter commute time (45 minutes or less)
- More time at home
- Less wear and tear on your vehicle
A longer commute time (45 minutes or greater)
- May provide you with more options, single-family house rather than a townhouse, a larger home, newer home, may be more affordable, yard
- May provide you with additional time to unwind during the drive home
- More likely to end up in traffic
- Time spent commuting is time not spent at home or doing other times you enjoy
Commute times vary widely from one location to another but the Census Bureau puts the average commute time to work in the United States at just over 25 minutes. To help you narrow down your home search we’ve calculated the commute from Kingstowne to a few of the areas biggest employers.
From Kingstowne to The Pentagon
- Leaving Kingstowne at 7 am arrival 18-55 min
- Leaving Kingstowne at 8 am arrival 20-55 minutes
From the Pentagon to Kingstowne
- Leaving The Pentagon at 5 pm arrival 20-59 minutes
- Leaving The Pentagon at 6 pm arrival 20-50 minutes
From Kingstowne to Capitol Hill
- Leaving Kingstowne at 7 am arrival 24 min – 1 hr 15 min
- Leaving Kingstowne at 8 am arrival 30 min -1hr 25 min
From Capitol Hill to Kingstowne
- Leaving Capitol Hill at 5 pm arrival 30 min – 1hr 20 min
- Leaving Capitol Hill at 6 pm arrival 35min -1hr 5 min
From Kingstowne to Fort Belvoir
- Leaving Kingstowne at 7 am arrival 20 min -30 min
- Leaving Kingstowne at 8 am arrival 20 min – 40min
From Fort Belvoir to Kingstowne
- Leaving Ft Belvoir at 5 pm arrival 20 min – 35 min
- Leaving Ft Belvoir at 6 pm arrival 20 min – 30 min
From Kingstowne to MITRE
- Leaving Kingstowne at 7 am arrival 24 min -50 min
- Leaving Kingstowne at 8 am arrival 30 min – 1 hr 5 min
From MITRE to Kingstowne
- Leaving MITRE at 5 pm arrival 30 min – 60 min
- Leaving MITRE at 6 pm arrival 30 min – 55 min
From Kingstowne to George Mason University
- Leaving Kingstowne at 7 am arrival 20 min – 40 min
- Leaving Kingstowne at 8 am arrival 20 min – 50 min
From George Mason University
- Leaving George Mason University at 5 pm arrival 22 min – 55 min
- Leaving George Mason University at 6 pm arrival 22 min – 50 min
Are you thinking about buying a home soon? Check out our Steps to Buying a Home Guide. Feel free to give me a call at 703-539-2053 or email info@AskAWalker.com to discuss how commute time factors into finding the perfect house for you. Thinking of selling your home? Check out our 20+ step Guide to Selling Your House. Or you can contact me now to start the process immediately. Same day appointments are available on a case by case basis.
About the Author: The above article was written by Abraham Walker, Your Northern Virginia Real Estate Agent, helping clients market their homes to achieve high sales with a quick closing time is my main priority. He’s the co-founder of Ask A Walker and can be found on YouTube, Facebook, and HERE on this blog.
I can be reached via email at info@AskAWalker.com or by phone at (703)539-2053. I’m happy to answer all your real estate questions.
I help people sell and buy real estate in the following Northern Virginia area cities & neighborhoods: Kingstowne, Island Creek, Cameron Station, Overlook, Alexandria, Old Town, Belle Haven, Fort Hunt, Mount Vernon, Springfield, West Springfield, Burke, Lorton, Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Manassas, Annandale, Fairfax, Arlington, McLean, Reston, Herndon and of course Vienna.
If you found this post helpful please share it with others interested in keeping up with Northern Virginia real estate.